Protecting kids’ teeth from cracks and chips should be taught at a young age. This blog from Pediatric Dental Center contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your child’s teeth whole and strong.
- Don’t chew on hard things. Kids should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Watch out for stone fruits—that peach may be soft but if your child bites hard into the stone, they could damage a tooth.
- Protect their teeth during physical activity where their mouth can be hit. Basketball games, soccer leagues, and many other activities, your child should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
- Teeth are not tools. Have your child use scissors to open a string cheese or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing. Use a nutcracker for nuts.
- Don’t grind teeth. Grinding teeth can lead to a cracked tooth. If you know or suspect that your child is a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist.
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might lead to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If your child already has a cracked tooth, don’t worry. We treat cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental crowns are some of the treatments used to repair damaged teeth.
If your child breaks a tooth, call 859-534-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Sealants, brushing and flossing, a balanced diet, and twice-yearly Pediatric Dental Center dental visits are essential for pediatric dental health. At Pediatric Dental Center in Burlington KY or Crestview Hills KY , we specialize in pediatric dentistry and early dental care. Call us today for an appointment.
CONTACT PEDIATRIC DENTAL CENTER:
LOCATION (TAP TO OPEN IN GOOGLE MAPS):
5495 N Bend Rd Ste 102